Why do I need the best room humidifier?
A humidifier is an essential piece of equipment to have in any home; it allows moisture to be put back into the atmosphere keeping your room nice and comfortable. They can also have a number of health benefits for your body, such as reducing your susceptibility to infection as well as alleviating cold and flu symptoms. The best room humidifier can make a big difference, especially if you’re dealing with any of the negative side effects of low humidity.
Ideal applications include climates with cold winters or dry air year round. When you come to choosing which humidifier is the right one for you the first thing you need to be aware of is the how much water each one holds and how much moisture it adds to the room over a period of time. Also, consider the design and color of it to see if it fits into your home. Since the décor of your room is a factor, the best room humidifier will ultimately be a personal choice. We hope to save you some time and show you some of the better options available.
The first part of this article provides a review of three room humidifiers on the market today. Later, we give a quick comparison and highlight our reasons for choosing which is the best room humidifier.
It’s very important to have optimal humidity levels for your home, especially in the rooms where you spend the most time. Wood furnishings like hardwood floors or wooden cabinets need moisture in the air to maintain their appearance. If the wood dries out too much it can shrink and crack, ruining the appearance of your living space.
This drying out process also leeches dangerous chemicals out of some wooden products. Manufacturers sometimes use chemicals to treat and preserve wood to make it last longer. If you do not have adequate humidity to keep your wooden fixtures moisturized, these chemicals can leak out into the air you breathe. One of the chemicals commonly used in hardwood flooring is formaldehyde.
The National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) conducted a study to catalog air filtering plants that can remove chemicals from the air we breathe. At the bottom of this article we go into a detailed review of one of our favorite plants that NASA determined is capable of removing formaldehyde from the air. We also give you a link to read more about the study. This specific plant is also non-toxic to cats and dogs and is very easy to care for.
But wait, you came here to read about humidifiers!
Crane Drop Shape Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier
This cool mist humidifier is great for adding moisture back into the air over a long period of time with its ability to hold up to 1 gallon of water at a time. The humidifier has a stylish design and comes in a number of different color.
- This humidifier can provide top results by holding up to 1 gallon of water and pumping out 2.3 gallons of moisture per day.
- Its whisper quiet ultrasonic operation runs for up to 24 hours at a time.
- Helps to increase moisture in the air which helps you to breath and have an easier night sleep, as well as helping to reduce colds, cough and flu symptoms
- It has a 360-degree mist nozzle and control nozzle for an easy way to change the setting.
- It can be quite difficult to add water as you have to hold the handle which is poorly made.
Overall, this is a good humidifier that has good features and a large capacity, as well as coming in a stylish design in a color of your choice to fit in perfectly within your home. And considering the price this is a very good contender for the best room humidifier on the market.
Vicks Warm Mist Humidifier with Auto Shut-off
This Vicks humidifier helps to add moisture back into the air which is ideal for if you live in a cool dry area. It has a nice design so that you can see exactly how much water is left in it, but it only comes in one color blue with white.
- This Vicks product has a 1 gallon capacity. When filled to capacity, it can operate for up to 12 hours.
- It also has a quiet operation which makes it easier for you to comfortably fall to sleep, as well as the soft glowing nightlight.
- The manufacturer advertises greatly reduced cold and flu like symptoms quickly by just having it on overnight.
- The only downside is that with use it builds up with an orange solid which is calcium, so you will need to clean it, usually every month depending on how often you use it.
Overall, this is a fairly basic option that does a good job humidifying your home. It is very easy to refill, by simply unscrewing a cap and lifting it off its base. It is a good option, but it is not a premium humidifier.
Honeywell Germ Free Cool Mist Humidifier
The Honeywell humidifier adds much needed moisture back into your home’s air while simultaneously removing harmful germs and bacteria. This Honeywell product offers a lot of benefits during cold and flu season. Running very quietly, this humidifier is stylishly designed and comes in two different colors; white and black, both with a stripe of blue down the sides.
- Helps to kill 99.9% of bacteria, mold, and spores with its patented germ killing chamber technology.
- QuietCare technology helps it to run 25% quieter than the previous model.
- A single full tank allows it to add moisture to the air for 24 hours.
- It also has an antimicrobial treated filter and automatic moisture balance filter.
- The tank is break resistant and has a dishwasher safe, making it easy to clean.
- There are no downsides that we could find with this product other than it is slightly bigger than the others.
Overall, this offers a number of great features. The most important being the ability to kill all the bacteria and germs. The 24 hour runtime is also a noteworthy capability. This is a premium humidifier that is stylishly designed to look great in your home in either color.
And the best room humidifier is…
In conclusion, the best room humidifier is the Honeywell HCM350W Germ Free Cool Mist Humidifier as it is a premium humidifier that has a number of good features, such as killing all germs in the water.
In at second place is the Crane Drop Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier, this is a good option however it can be difficult to fill up.
The third best room humidifier is the Vicks Warm Mist Humidifier with Auto Shut-Off, 1 Gallon, Model V745A, this only lasts for 12 hours on a full tank compared to the other two at 24 hours, and this is more of a basic option. Which one you choose really depends on how much your budget. The premium one is the Honeywell, the budget is the Vicks and the mid-range is the Crane.
As promised, our favorite NASA plant
Hopefully you’re a little closer to finding the best humidifier for your room. But what about the best air purifier? You could take a look at some of the mechanical air purifiers we have reviewed. Then again, you would have a humidifier in one corner of your room and an air purifier in the other corner. Things might start to get a little crowded and you might run out of open wall plugs.
Another solution you might want to consider is choosing your houseplants to take the place of an air purifier. Our favorite ‘NASA plant‘ for dealing with formaldehyde specifically is the spider plant. The plant can also effectively process xylene and toluene. These three chemicals are found in a variety of paints, stains and other preservatives for wooden items.
The spider plant is easy to care for and safe for both cats and dogs. They prefer bright light but also do well in partial sunlight and shady conditions. Water them often in the summer and a little less in the winter.
We’ve provided you some great information here to get you started on the path to breathing comfortable, clean air when you’re at home. If you have any additional questions, feel free to leave them in the comments below. Thanks!